Sunday, July 20, 2008

It is very important when your six.....





.....To have the bestest birthday party ever,
Now, when I was a child many years ago, you would get (maybe) one present and a birthday cake after dinner. (We lived on a farm) Birthdays were almost a disappointment in our house.

Today extravaganzas are the rule!
And I agree.
Children are the most precious part of our lives, be it our children/grandchildren/nieces or nephews and the little friends of our loved ones.

One gift given at a birthday now would equal the total accumulation of a childhood of gifts for me.
And again I agree with the attitudes of today.
Childhood is to be celebrated.
And celebrate they do.
My grandson will be turning six in a couple of weeks, and his party has been in planning for at least two weeks already.

He, (Following his father) is an aficionado of the rock group KISS!
Yep, you heard me right.
He bops around with various guitars, (and with one shaped like Gene Simmons Axe that he and I made out of cardboard one day) singing strumming and pretending he is Gene Simmons!
He knows all the words, and is rather an expert on the bands doings from the inception.
Pop Quizzes about KISS are the rule in his home, and he always gets us!
I must admit that I actually have learned a lot more about KISS than I ever thought that I wanted to know.
But, on the other hand, I never had someone that I love as much as him question me about the band before either.

So he is having an "Alive "6"" tour themed birthday party.
(To this point KISS has only five Live albums, so Shaughns will be #6)
There will be guitars for everyone and an "Air Band", (Guitars are all blow up style)
Tee shirts with significant Kiss words embossed on them and the "Tour" appearance on the back.
Of course there will be the pool and cake drinks and, with a multitude of over-active six year old boys, one can only imagine the cacophony at his home that day!

Even the invitations will be done up in the style of "Backstage Passes" with an attached lanyard for hanging around their necks. (Laminated of course)

So you ask too much?
I don't think so. He is a little boy that adores his little brother and is so protective of him, that he sides with the little guy when their parents discipline him! (Hugging his tears away when the parents forcefully say "NO!")
He is helpful around the house (as much as a five going on six year old will be), he reads, never breaks his toys, and passed Kindergarten with flying colours!
(Almost never complained about homework, just colouring, which he really dislikes.)
He has learned how to swim this summer, and plays outside in his playhouse sharing his time on the slide and swings with his little brother.

I did not have a childhood.
My daughter and son-in-law are giving my grandson memories that are positive because he has earned the right to this every day. He does not get things just for asking, and he is often told no when he want something....responsible parenting with a whole lot of love kicked in!
I believe it is very important to be surprised beyond your wildest dreams on the occasion of your sixth birthday.....If for no other reason than, you were a wonderful five year old!
The front of his tee shirts will have the first picture above on the front of them.
~~Kathleen
Who loves when her grandsons have a birthday!

No comments: